Author Topic: Results of 11/17/10 visit to Cancer Treatment Centers of America  (Read 3685 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Results of 11/17/10 visit to Cancer Treatment Centers of America
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
First, I want to wish all of you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING! 

We here have so much to be thankful for and I hope for the same for all of you!

My husband and I went to the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion, IL last week and I wanted to save the news until this special Thanksgiving day so you would know why we have so much to be thankful for.

This time I had a PET scan and came out with flying colors! 

Dr. Neelam told me that she has known women to live as long as 10 years in stage 4 breast cancer - and hopes I am going to fall in that category since the cancer never metastasized to my liver and kidneys.  She also said that most all of the previously "active" tumors were removed by the hysterectomy - so the only tumor that is left is the one in my lower back in the L4 L5 region and indicated that was also something that would help me to live longer than the dreaded statistical 1-3 years that they gave me to live.

She also told us that since I am seeing another oncologist here each month for my infusions of zometa, that she feels comfortable with me just coming out to CTCA for my scans every SIX MONTHS!!!! Of course, if my blood workup here shows increasing tumor marker counts and CA-15-3 counts, I will immediately call her for a scan and go from there.  All in all, she is very pleased with my progress!

Jokingly I asked her if I could say I was in "remission" and she recalled my horrible experience with the stupid doctor that did my hysterectomy and she laughed and said that I could say I was in PET remission if I wanted to since my PET scans show no cancerous activity.

When I was through talking to Dr. Neelam, Dr. Eliott - my Naturopathic MD - came in and talked to me.  We are trying to get my circadian rhythm set to where I am not staying up until 4 or 5 in the morning before going to bed!  He prescribed for me to take Rhodiola to help decrease stress, balance hormones and improve my focus - which I am having a hard time with as well.  My memory is increasingly waning - sometimes from day to day I cannot remember certain things that happened the day before - which is very disconcerting to say the least!

Dr. Eliott also put me on a special formulary called BCQ which is supposed to help decrease inflammation and pain in my back.

So.... all is well on the home front - and we do have so much to be thankful for!

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support!

Judy Gunderson