Author Topic: Bad News on the Hysterectomy  (Read 4431 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bad News on the Hysterectomy
« on: November 28, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »
Well.... I went in on Tuesday to have the staples taken out of my stomach from the hysterectomy - and it was a VERY VERY VERY stressful visit.

First.... my neighbor, Teresa, went with me - one because I am not supposed to be driving, and two because I wanted someone there with me to witness what the Doctor had said to me after surgery - I was going to make sure to bring it up so I was clear I was not "hallucinating" or under the influence of anesthesia and misunderstood her....

Turns out I definately did NOT misunderstand anything she said.  She believes that I intentionally withheld from her the fact that I was in stage 4 of breast cancer.  She said that had she known that, she would never have done the hysterectomy.  Her rationale was that I was dying of breast cancer and there was no point in putting my body through such a harsh surgery for nothing and she felt she did not "do me any favors" by doing the hysterectomy. 

I think I may have finally convinced her that I am not a dishonest person and would never intentionally mislead anyone.  Why that was important to me.... I do not know.... but it was.

I am putting some info from the report here in case some of my friends that get this that have nursing/medical backgrounds want to know or understand what all of it means!   ;D

The reports showed that there was metastatic carcinoma in the serosa and myometrium of the uterus.  There was metastatic carcinoma in the left and right ovaries as well as in the omentum.  The tumors were 90% reactive to estrogen receptor and 80% reactive to progesterone receptor.  Tumor Cells were also strongly positive for CK7 and CK 19. The are negative for CA125 and CK20.  Because of the above, the pathologist believes that tumors are metastatic breast cancer as opposed to ovarian or GYN primary cancer.

There was a mass of tumors in the in the myometrium of 3x3x3 cm (1.18inches)

She took all of the above out including a large amount of the omentum - and left 1/3 of my cervix.

She told me I needed to get ahold of Dr. Pendergrass immediately (my local oncologist that is working with Dr. Neelam in Zion) and that she had sent the reports to him.

I called CTCA and talked to my care manager and Dr. Neelam is going to look over the test results from the hysterectomy and will call me on Monday to maybe just calm me down... make me not feel so scared that I am not even going to make it to that 2-3 year mark they gave me 1.5 years ago for life expectancy.  :'(

I will try to post again next week when I hear back from her.

I am still in a quandry as to whether I should try and see Dr. Pendergrass here locally and get his opinion too.... I know that their method of delivering the chemo is much harsher than how they do it at CTCA - and they use other types of chemo than what Dr. Neelam used on me.  I am going to get my Aredia infusion on Tuesday.... so I will be at his office for that -but I just don't know what the protocol is - since I really consider Dr. Neelam at CTCA as my primary oncologist.....

Once again.... I ask for you to storm the heavens with your prayers on my behalf.  There is so much that I NEED to be here for - my kids especially - and I really really need your prayers!

Hugs and love,

Judy

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bad News on the Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »
From one of my wonderful friends...

In a message dated 11/28/2008 2:15:01 PM Central Standard Time, judy AT notgoingtogiveup.com writes:
"she felt she did not "do me any favors" by doing the hysterectomy"

What a dumb doctor.
She DID YOU ONE OF THE BIGGEST FAVORS IN YOUR FIGHT BY DOING A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY.

HER ONLY MISTAKE WAS LEAVING YOUR CERVIX.

You will heal just fine, but if you are still in excruciating pain, please ask for an X-ray of the surgical
area to r/o gauze packs or instruments.

Do try to return to your original place for chemo and bring the surgeions' report on the hysterectomy.

You did the right thing, Judy.
Stay brave.
This surgery saved your life!!!!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »
With tears streaming down my face, I read this... wanted all of you to read it too....  :'( from my friend Dianne..... here is her email to me...

I was sitting here thinking about you and was just going to send you an email saying not to let that lady doctor "get to you" when your email came.  Judy, the biggest factor in all of this - the pivot point - is YOU.  You canNOT succumb to her way of thought.  You must continue to believe in yourself, your doctor's at CTCA and your treatment plan with them.

First of all, she didn't do the surgery "for nothing".  Not only was there a specific reason for doing the surgery, but what a wonderful opportunity to discover - and get rid of - what she found.  So it wasn't "for nothing".  Frankly, I am appalled by her behavior and comments.  Clearly she is afraid of being sued either by you or your family, so she is focusing on CYA instead of her patient.  It is disappointing - no, disgusting - to think that a medical professional would let this be her primary way of communicating with you.  SHE is putting your body through unnecessary stress "for nothing".

Don't misunderstand me here, if she believes she was deceived, then she had a right to address it, to clarify and to make her position clear; she does need to protect herself in case there had been a deception (we know there was NOT, but for now we're thinking of her position).  However, her behavior is SO much about her and not about you.  You have triggered a fear in her.  We don't know from what it stems and at this point, we don't care.

Your job now is to put yourself under the care of the most qualified person that you can who also cares about YOU.  She is not that person.

Your second job is to focus on where you are going with all of this.  That has not changed from what it was before this surgery and this woman was never a part of your larger plan.

Your third job is to take one day at a time and to deliberatly seek out opportunities to make each day filled with all manner of joy - on purpose!  Joy takes many forms.  It's the chuckle over a family joke, it's the appreciation of having enjoyed a small bite of food, it's the recognition that you took a step further today than you did yesterday, it's the pleasure of the relationship you have with your daughter, it's knowing your family is at home and all tucked in together at night, it's grinning over something silly that you remember from years ago, it's looking at old photos and remembering a pleasant event, it's knowing that tomorrow, you can take another step, it's looking at your ratty bedroom shoes and smiling because you can't believe you are still walking around in those old things, it's loving the way it feels when you finally find a position in bed that feels a little better than it did...it's anything you DECIDE to smile about, appreciate, remember with fondness, anticipate with hope or just plain "like" in the moment...and the best thing about joy is that...it's all completely in your control because it's how *you* decide you are going to be.

And Judy, it is your joy that is going to propel you through this to where you want to go.

Stop all those thoughts running a mile a minute through your head, right now,...and smile - right now!  Put a big old grin on your face.  Most people don't know it but when you do that - even when you don't think you really feel it - there is a natural uplift that spreads across your body.  Don't push that feeling away.  Put a big old grin on your face and let that natural uplift flow...and you flow with it. 

Take control of your thoughts and focus on your joy. Draw your energy from all the good thoughts your friends are sending to you.  With that in mind, every day already is a great day!

With warm regards,
Dianne
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:23:52 PM by Judy »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi sweet Judy
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
===== from my buddies in Canada - I love you both and appreciate your tuning into a Greater Power on my behalf!!  =======

Hi Sweet Judy

All we do know is that you are one amazingly strong and fabulous woman.
We are going to call on our friends to do a healing circle for you Judy.
In the meanwhile from Canada and beyond please know we are sending you so much rainbow coloured healing light and love.
XOXOXO Deenah and Kathy

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:30:24 AM »
From my beautiful friend in Brazil.......

Poor baby! Im so sorry for your suffering. I wish to make a magic with my
hands and give you all your happiness and health back.

Im with you and still praying.

Love

Mel
www.melgama.com