Author Topic: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!!  (Read 6843 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!!
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:41 PM »
I did REALLLLLY good on not wanting to smoke - wish I could have KEPT it that way the minute I got off the hospital property!   >:(

The morning after my surgery, the OBGYN that did the hysterectomy came in and ripped me a new orafice (or so it FELT like that!)   :'(

I hope you will all believe me - I have a hard time believing this MYSELF... but to the best of my drugged out memory... here is what transpired....

She came in my room and told me the she was "very hurt" and upset that I did not tell her that I was in stage four of breast cancer.  She wanted to know how in the 2 conversations  (maybe 20 minutes total) we had with each other that something that important was not expressed. 

She further stated that had she KNOWN I was in stage 4, she would not have done the hysterectomy!  I asked her why? And she said "you are in stage four of breast cancer Judy, what's the point in doing a hysterectomy?"  In my stunned state, I replied... why??  because you figure I am going to die, so no need to help me with other problems?  I said I was in remission, and that is why my oncologist had said it was a good time to do the hysterectomy.  She said - Judy, you are in stage four of breast cancer - there IS NO REMISSION!  To which I said... Ok... no remission.... but there is "no cancerous activity" showing up right now - which to ME means I am in remission.

She told me that it looked like the breast cancer had metasticized into the ovaries - and that what they were seeing on the CT scan was the ovaries - not fibroids.  She said she had sent the to the lab and requested a stat report on the ovaries.  She again reiterated that she could not believe that I had not told her about being in stage 4.  I started to cry and touched her arm and told her that I would never have intentionally "misled" her or omitted information.  She said she knew I had chronic back pain - but did not know it was from cancer.  She said she called the "taboo to me" oncologist that refused to give me Aredia or Zometa.  I told her that was NOT my oncologist - and she said .. "well your primary care physician seems to think it is your oncologist".

I truly do not know how in the world I get myself into these positions!  All I know is that Dr. Neelam at CTCA said I needed a hysterectomy... I had already set up an appt for a pap smear months before, so I took my reports in, gave it to the doctor ... and all proceeded from there.  We also discussed that I was on Tamoxifen - which has been know to cause cancer in the female organs.  I told Dr. Alm about it (she is my diabetic dr) and she said to just let it go and shrug it off the best I could, because she knew and I knew that I did not intentionally withhold information.

I will be getting my staples out on Tuesday and am anxious to know what she is talking about on the cancer metasticizing to the ovaries.....

My first night home I tried to set up in bed so I could go to the bathroom, and I guess I passed out and hit the floor on my knees - yelling for Tom to help me.  The pain has been horrible - but today it seems better.  ;D  Dr. Alm doubled my dose of potassium while I was in the hospital - I don't know if I am having overdose effects or low dose effects - I am pretty light headed, get painful throbbing on my shoulder blades when I lie down, my head pulses, I shake alot, (legs and hands) don't feel like eating, and my blood sugars are running pretty high.  I am trying to spend as much time in bed as I can.  Tom bought me a wedge to help me stay elevated and also a knee wedgie to put my legs on to keep them elevated.  I keep a small bone pillow on my stomach so I can use it to push onto my stomach when I cough.

Thanks For Listening and thanks for all your prayers!

Judy
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:56:32 AM by Judy »

eviltwin

• View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »
Wow. That's all I can say right now is wow.   :(  >:(

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:01:57 PM »
OMgosh!  You have been silenced??   :P

I had never been to see this doctor prior to this - so if they did have history on me, it would have been from about 10 years ago when I saw another doc in that clinic.  But I DO remember distinctly that she made sure that I had my regular doctor and my diabetic doctor send her a letter stating that they felt I was stable enough to undergo this surgery - AND the doctors DID send those letters because the nurses told me they did.  BUT that did not, I am sure include a case history of my physical well being in the last 2 years.  And I also gave her the results of the CT scan from the Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

The medical record thingy was filled out online - I could only click what needed to be clicked - and somehow I managed to get it acrossed that I had breast cancer.... just not the STAGE!

I think when I go see my boob doctor, I had better bring something in writing in to him or something just in case it is an issue with him - although I am sure he knows because of all the lymphnodes that were taken out, etc - but I may not have "verbalized" it or written it in a non existant spot on a form or something...   ???

Wow. That's all I can say right now is wow.   :(  >:(

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! - From Katie
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:01:27 AM »
Below I am going to post some emails that people have sent me responding to this post - because I think they are VERY important for others to read as well.  ;D

Judy,

Oh, girl - that doctor (the one that yelled at you) was WAY out of line!  Shouldn't it be in your chart or some medical piece of written info that she should have perused prior to meeting with you that you have stage IV breast cancer!!!!  Hmm, sounds to me like someone did not do their homework.  Aside from all that...  I had my hysterectomy about a month and a half after my last chemo (ok, Taxol - not technically chemo).  That was 2 years ago.  My gyn was ALL for having the hysterectomy.  Technically he is a (gynecological oncologist)  gyny-onc!  Love that one. 

Hey, now that you had a hysterectomy will they be switching you to arimidex from the tamoxifen?  I have been on arimidex since my hyster.  The first 6 months were a little tough with the "arthristis-like" pains, but it got MUCH better. 

Oh, and what do you mean that your doc won't give you zometa or aredia?  Is it because of other health issues?  I know they are hard on the kidneys or is it liver - not sure why I can't keep those two straight?  I was on zometa for 2 years (last treatment was Sept 11), they kept a close eye on things.  I will have a zometa treatment once a year (instead of doing boniva or fosamax). 

And, as for being in remission or not.....  I refer to it as "when I USED to have cancer"  maybe I am just in denial, but Stage IV can be in remission.  That doc sounds sadly misinformed or just a freaking pessimist.  Even my doc isn't THAT pessimistic.  (Though, I have to say my doc is awesome and not bad looking either!) 

Sorry to hear about all the pain and other issues.  That really sucks.  Vent any time you want and if you don't want to do it on your site, email me or call me.

Not sure if I mentioned guided imagery to you before.  It may help with the pain and the stress.  I still listen to my cds when I am having a rough night or day. 

Take care. 
Katie Trammell - Stage IV breast cancer survivor in FREAKING REMISSION for 2 years!  Maybe I shouldn't say it like that, I am waiting on the results from an MRI - keep your fingers crossed.  At least if it is bad news, it will be AFTER Thanksgiving.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! - From Jolene
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:02:57 AM »
By the power do the Holy Spirit and in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth I rebuke the words of this awful doctor that has spoken a curse of death over you.  I rebuke Satan and his underlings and the spirit of destruction over Judy right now.
I speak a creative miracle over Judy today. I ask Father in Heaven to heal Judy of the cancer in her body in Jesus Name.  I speak peace that passes all understanding that only comes through our Father over Judy.  I speak peace from the top of her head to the bottoms of her feet.
In Jesus name.
Jolene

-----------
Thanks Jolene... I really needed that! 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! - From Marti
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:08:48 AM »
I don't feel like eating, and my blood sugars are running pretty high.  I am trying to spend as much time in bed as I can.  Tom bought me a wedge to help me stay elevated and also a knee wedgie to put my legs on to keep them elevated.  I keep a small bone pillow on my stomach so I can use it to push onto my stomach when I cough.

Judy,
You really need more pain meds, and also tell the surgeon all these symptoms please.
Yes it does sound like uncontrolled, temporary blood sugar problems.
But still, maybe ask for an xray of your surgical area.

I know this sounds freaky, but maybe they left a clamp or a sponge inside you.
REMEMBER, YOUR SURGEON WAS SO UPSET.  THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED,
and as a surgical nurse, your symtoms sure sound like it.

So, an xray is no big deal and the radiologist will look very, very closely.

Just a thought.  Even a stitch in the wrong place hurts post op like holy hell.
Love
Mart

She came in my room and told me the she was "very hurt" and upset that I did not tell her that I was in stage four of breast cancer.  She wanted to know how in the 2 conversations  (maybe 20 minutes total) we had with each other that something that important was not expressed. 
Hi Judy,

This is not your fault nor is it your responsibility.  The surgeon missed it in reviewing your chart pre-op.
This is why she is upset:  Because you  handle tissue differently when it may be cancerous,
and you have the pathologist on call for stat tissue reports.
Then the surgical team literally waits until his report.  If cancer has spreaded to say the bowel,
then another surgeon joins in and helps out.

Okay?  She should have known, but , dont let it bother you.
Take more pain meds-don't suffer.
IF they are not helping, then call the surgeon and tell her nurse
you need a stronger narcotic.

We heal faster when the pain is under control.
Do let me know what the path. states on your ovaries.
***Did the surgeon TELL YOU THAT the ovaries looked like ca?

Not to worry, just let me know.
Love,
Marti

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! - From Katie
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »
Katie,

I think part of the problem was that this doctor did not expect to see what she saw and maybe it overwhelmed her?  She is a very SWEET doctor - seems to be very caring in spite of what she said to me...

I don't know if they will be switching out my Tamoxofen or not - I am supposed to be on it for 5 years - but it makes sense that if I don't have any body parts that create estrogen.... they would swith me to something else... I am so GRATEFUL to have you as my friend - it is wonderful to learn from YOUR stage FOUR cancer survivor stories!  ;)

What I meant on the aredia and zometa, is that a doctor here closer to me in a cancer center would not give it to me because I had chosen to go to CTCA for treatment once I got a second opinion from them.  I FINALLY found a doctor that is in the same "clinic" just in another location that would hold hands with CTCA and do the injections every month.  ;D

I like to refer to myself as a survivor - and that I HAD cancer.... not HAVE cancer for the rest of my life.  EVERYONE has cancer in their bodies from what I understand..... I just happen to know WHERE mine is/was! 

Judy

Below I am going to post some emails that people have sent me responding to this post - because I think they are VERY important for others to read as well.  ;D

Judy,

Oh, girl - that doctor (the one that yelled at you) was WAY out of line!  Shouldn't it be in your chart or some medical piece of written info that she should have perused prior to meeting with you that you have stage IV breast cancer!!!!  Hmm, sounds to me like someone did not do their homework.  Aside from all that...  I had my hysterectomy about a month and a half after my last chemo (ok, Taxol - not technically chemo).  That was 2 years ago.  My gyn was ALL for having the hysterectomy.  Technically he is a (gynecological oncologist)  gyny-onc!  Love that one. 

Hey, now that you had a hysterectomy will they be switching you to arimidex from the tamoxifen?  I have been on arimidex since my hyster.  The first 6 months were a little tough with the "arthristis-like" pains, but it got MUCH better. 

Oh, and what do you mean that your doc won't give you zometa or aredia?  Is it because of other health issues?  I know they are hard on the kidneys or is it liver - not sure why I can't keep those two straight?  I was on zometa for 2 years (last treatment was Sept 11), they kept a close eye on things.  I will have a zometa treatment once a year (instead of doing boniva or fosamax). 

And, as for being in remission or not.....  I refer to it as "when I USED to have cancer"  maybe I am just in denial, but Stage IV can be in remission.  That doc sounds sadly misinformed or just a freaking pessimist.  Even my doc isn't THAT pessimistic.  (Though, I have to say my doc is awesome and not bad looking either!) 

Sorry to hear about all the pain and other issues.  That really sucks.  Vent any time you want and if you don't want to do it on your site, email me or call me.

Not sure if I mentioned guided imagery to you before.  It may help with the pain and the stress.  I still listen to my cds when I am having a rough night or day. 

Take care. 
Katie Trammell - Stage IV breast cancer survivor in FREAKING REMISSION for 2 years!  Maybe I shouldn't say it like that, I am waiting on the results from an MRI - keep your fingers crossed.  At least if it is bad news, it will be AFTER Thanksgiving.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! - From Dianne
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:29:03 AM »
Just got your update.  What an insensitive doctor!  More concerned about herself...especially considering that the deed was done...than she was about upsetting a patient fresh out of surgery.  Good grief!  What exactly was to be gained in coming at you at that point?  Nothing wrong with her discussing it but she could have delayed a portion of that conversation.  Of course, what she DIDN'T say is that she did not do a proper "due diligence" herself.   Sounds like those basic forms that have you check-off everything you have ever had/eaten/taken or looked at was missing from her work-up.  Hmmm...

Kind of like when the surgeons did surgery on my father to remove his legs and NEVER looked at his records - housed right there in the hospital - to learn that he had a steel rod in one leg.  Good grief - let's blame the patient, why don't we.

I hope you can let this go and focus on feeling better.  One day at a time...one day at a time.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Dianne

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! - From Dianne
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
I can't imagine that the bad words Stage Four did not come up in our conversation - but I am too old and forgetful to remember!   ;D  I would like to get a copy of those records on the pretext of having them in my files and also to give to other doctors - just to see EXACTLY what is in them.... But... like you said - the deed was done - no need to throw a hissy fit - unless there was something else a Gyno ONCOLOGIST would have done that she didn't... then I may be in trouble!  Will know more tomorrow when I go in for my appointment with her.

THANKS!

Judy

Just got your update.  What an insensitive doctor!  More concerned about herself...especially considering that the deed was done...than she was about upsetting a patient fresh out of surgery.  Good grief!  What exactly was to be gained in coming at you at that point?  Nothing wrong with her discussing it but she could have delayed a portion of that conversation.  Of course, what she DIDN'T say is that she did not do a proper "due diligence" herself.   Sounds like those basic forms that have you check-off everything you have ever had/eaten/taken or looked at was missing from her work-up.  Hmmm...

Kind of like when the surgeons did surgery on my father to remove his legs and NEVER looked at his records - housed right there in the hospital - to learn that he had a steel rod in one leg.  Good grief - let's blame the patient, why don't we.

I hope you can let this go and focus on feeling better.  One day at a time...one day at a time.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Dianne

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! From Diana
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:36:48 AM »
hI jUDY SO DID SHE TAKE OUT EVERYTHING cause if she didnt then later down the line it may have to be done again my dr. left in 1 ovary and it grewto a large basketball I never said anything before but I figured she took everything I sure hope sotubes I felt so much better after wards these drs shouldnt be like this ewwwwwwwwwww you need to tell her again its what u wanted not what she wants and there is hope for all of us I want to go to this Dr with you and let her know what I think ewwwwwww she works for you and eventually will get her monies if that is all she is worried about it had to come out dont let her do that to you make u feel bad I want to smack her love ya xoxoxoxox hang in there honey When can I come up to see ya I have a vehicle now steven has to fix brakes before I go a long place love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo

Diana Prine

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back home from hospital - Strange Experience!! From Diana
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »
Just so you don't want to smack ME... I am ok!  giggle

The more I think about it... and based on what Katie said earlier.... I think I should have went to a OB that specialized in cancer!  BUT... I had this appointment set up months before I got the CT scan - it was just for a routine pap smear - which I had not had in over 10 years or so..... I did not know what all was going to be involved in this.  :'(

From what I understood - she took out everything except for 1/3 of the cervix - or 2/3 - she told Tom that after surgery - not me.  The deal was to take ALL OUT 0 including the cervix...

Judy

hI jUDY SO DID SHE TAKE OUT EVERYTHING cause if she didnt then later down the line it may have to be done again my dr. left in 1 ovary and it grewto a large basketball I never said anything before but I figured she took everything I sure hope sotubes I felt so much better after wards these drs shouldnt be like this ewwwwwwwwwww you need to tell her again its what u wanted not what she wants and there is hope for all of us I want to go to this Dr with you and let her know what I think ewwwwwww she works for you and eventually will get her monies if that is all she is worried about it had to come out dont let her do that to you make u feel bad I want to smack her love ya xoxoxoxox hang in there honey When can I come up to see ya I have a vehicle now steven has to fix brakes before I go a long place love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo

Diana Prine

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:41:36 AM by Judy »