Author Topic: And... The Radiation Begins....  (Read 4116 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
And... The Radiation Begins....
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:59:09 AM »
I finally got in to see the Radiation Oncologist at the Kansas City Cancer Center on Friday.  I was afraid that he would not agree with Dr. Neelam for me to have the therapy WHILE I am having the chemo - because they usually do that AFTER the chemo there at KCCC.  But... amazingly, he agreed that they would do it!!  He said that if it worked, I should be able to get off the Morphine for the pain because it would take the pain away and also keep the cancer from doing further damage to the L4 section of my back. 

I will have a CT SIM done Monday morning where they will scan my back and pinpoint where the cancer is and "tattoo" me in that area so they can make sure that the radiation hits the same spot each time.

I asked the Doctor if they could put "Tom" or a heart for the tattoo.... since it is my first tattoo, it makes since that I should do that.... but he said no.   ;)

I will start radiation on Tuesday and it will be done daily for 13 days until October 11th - and we are supposed to leave to go to Cancer Treatment Centers of America on Friday the 12th.  I guess the only side effects are that it could make me really tired... which I am HOPING my supplements will combat, because I have no time to be tired!   :P

I got to see my PET scan on his computer and saw the cancer in the back and the abdomen.  Ain't technology grand?  It was very interesting to see.

One thing that happened at the visit that made me SO GLAD that I am going to CTCA..... the Doctor was going over my list of medications... I have it on a spreadsheet divided by:  1) Prescriptions daily / 2)Supplements / 3)PRN stuff

He kept shaking his head... then he said he wanted to ask me a question and hoped it would not be offensive.  Then he asked me how much the supplements that CTCA prescribed me cost per month!  I told him it was about $80... and he looked at me in amazement!  I told him that their supplements were very low priced - and very effective.  He just kind of grinned and said that he was surprised at that. 

Mind you.... that $80 was for what CTCA prescribed for me... I ALSO take other stuff that was on that list that probably comes up to that same amount that the Naturopathic Doctor approved and said it was ok for me to take - but HE doesnt have to know that!   :-X

But... you see... THAT is the main reason I went to CTCA - because they treat the whole mind/body/spirit!  They don't just chock you full of toxic chemicals in 1 day in a 1-2 hour treatment - then send you home to puke your guts out!!  They spread their treatments out over several days... and give you recommendations for the other herbs to help build your immune system, help with nausea, etc.

I am so HAPPY that I found them!  Even if I STILL only live another 3-5 years.... and spent the time away from my family to go back and forth up there.... I believe it will be worth it!!

Oh... and just in case anyone wonders... I don't PLAN to only live another 3-5 years.... I PLAN to drive all of you NUTTIER for the next 10-20 years!!   ;D

Judy

eviltwin

• View Profile
Re: And... The Radiation Begins....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »
Well you can get burns from the radiation, so keep your EFA's up to protect your skin.

I don't understand them, why do they care what it costs you for supplements? You are worth every penny and then some. 
I m VERY happy you chose CTCA!

YOu only plan on driving me nuts for another 20??  ???
Come on now, you can do better than that!  ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »
I am taking the fish oil you recommended - and also some shark cartilage.   I am going to make a cocoa butter and aloe gel cream up to apply after the treatments too.... If I still have burning, I will probably get some vitamin e oil to add to the mix.   :o

They were not worried about MY COST for the supplements.  They obviously think supplements are useless and a scammy way for CTCA to make some additional money, which is not the case on either point!

GEEZ... what do you WANT from me?  By the time I get to 70 I may be BEGGING for someone to shoot me!   ;D

Judy

Well you can get burns from the radiation, so keep your EFA's up to protect your skin.

I don't understand them, why do they care what it costs you for supplements? You are worth every penny and then some. 
I m VERY happy you chose CTCA!

YOu only plan on driving me nuts for another 20??  ???
Come on now, you can do better than that!  ;)

lora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:56:52 PM »
Hi Judy!  I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family.  Is there anything I can do for you or your kids this week at Chrisman?  Would they like to go to the volleyball game with me Thursday night?  I would love to pick them up or meet them before the game!  My Junior plays on the Varsity team and they had such a wonderful, wonderful time tonight playing the arch rivals, Truman!!!  It was so loud the girls could not hear each other on the court!!!  I can't promise Thursday night will be as exciting, but the volleyball team loves any and every body that supports them!  Also, Tuesday night is a movie night in the courtyard for everyone that attends WCHS.  They are showing CARS as a "drive-in" in the courtyard.  Let me know or have Tom call us, please, if there is anything we can do for you and yours!  Lora

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »
Lora,

Thanks for the offer!  Marianne has a friend on the B Volleyball team - so she tries to attend her games - just went to one last night as a matter of fact!   ;D

Thanks for your positive thoughts and prayers!  It sure was nice seeing you at Kimaks the other day!   :D

Judy

Hi Judy!  I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family.  Is there anything I can do for you or your kids this week at Chrisman?  Would they like to go to the volleyball game with me Thursday night?  I would love to pick them up or meet them before the game!  My Junior plays on the Varsity team and they had such a wonderful, wonderful time tonight playing the arch rivals, Truman!!!  It was so loud the girls could not hear each other on the court!!!  I can't promise Thursday night will be as exciting, but the volleyball team loves any and every body that supports them!  Also, Tuesday night is a movie night in the courtyard for everyone that attends WCHS.  They are showing CARS as a "drive-in" in the courtyard.  Let me know or have Tom call us, please, if there is anything we can do for you and yours!  Lora